Since I’m a travel blogger based in Modena, it strikes me as impossible to not write about the Osteria Francescana. So here we go, let me tell you something about the world’s number one restaurant located right here in the city where I live.
Osteria Francescana is a three-Michelin-star small restaurant in the city centre of Modena and it has been chosen as number one on the world’s 50 Best Restaurants list first in the year 2016 and again in 2018.
Even though in 2019 the first position of Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana has been replaced with a restaurant in Menton, France called Mirazur, Osteria Francescana doesn’t fail to attract tourists from all over the world.
A brief note: What is The World’s 50 Best Restaurants?
The World’s Best 50 Restaurants is an annual ranking event of the fifty best restaurants in the World. The list is produced by the British magazine Restaurant and it is based on a poll of international chefs, restaurateurs, gourmands, and restaurant critics. The list showcases a variety of cuisines from all over the world and since it works as a barometer of global gastronomic trends, it’s characterized both by the meticulous preparation and careful presentation of food.
The World’s Best 50 Restaurants annual event was suspended in 2020 due to the Covid 19 pandemic and a new date is already scheduled for 2021: 5th October.
About the chef: Massimo Bottura
Osteria Francescana restaurant in Modena is owned by the Chef Massimo Bottura who opened it in 1995 and from then on he has consolidated his reputation as one of the world’s most creative culinary figures. His dishes walk the thin line between tradition and innovation. The awards he has received along the course of his career are countless and the recognitions continue to arrive.
Massimo Bottura can proudly say that now he is one of the reasons why tourists are coming to visit the city of Modena. Even if the prices are sky high, people, from all around the globe, want to dine at the Osteria Francescana.
Reservations at the Osteria Francescana in Modena.
Getting a reservation at the Osteria Francesca is not easy.
Due to the high demand and since they have only a few tables, foodies need to reserve months in advance. So consider yourself lucky if you can fit your dining experience here during your trip to Italy.
Reservations can be done online, and credit card details are required at this stage. You will be charged € 250 for No-Show.
Read Also: Best things to do in Modena.
Curiosities and Tips
- The patrons are all left outside until the doors open at the exact time of reservation. Everybody then enters at the same time while they are greeted by all the staff together. Each party is then led to their respective tables.
- Tips to the waiters can’t be charged to the credit card like in many western countries.
- You are presented with a menu A la Carte or two kinds of a tasting menu to choose from.
- No dress code required for Osteria Francescana in Modena.
- The entire dining experience takes from two to three hours.
- If you are reaching Modena by train, the walk to and from the restaurant takes about 30 minutes. Do it at least one way because Modena is a very beautiful city. Especially don’t forget to pass by the Piazza Grande.
- Massimo Bottura’s Chef’s Table episodes are broadcasted on Netflix.
- The waiter always gives a detailed description of the food and the story behind it.
- Massimo Bottura’s two cookbooks (Never Trust a Skinny Italian and Bread is Gold) are sold at the Osteria Francescana.
- Photography is a sensitive subject here: you are allowed, but however, you should respect the privacy of all the guests.
- Chef Massimo Bottura also runs a restaurant in Maranello called “Il Cavallino,” which is very close to the Ferrari Museum.
- Last but not least, food intolerances and allergies are well accommodated at the Osteria Francescana in Modena.
Now, dining at the Osteria Francescana in Modena is that kind of experience that I’d try once in my life! I’m sure it is worth it. It is a 3 Michelin starred restaurant and it has been first on the list of the world’s best restaurant two times. Well, there must be a reason, right?
Have you ever been to Osteria Francescana in Modena? Feel free to share your experience with us. Can’t wait to read it!!!