Not to be missed town in Sri Lanka.
Are you looking for a “Not to be missed town” in Sri Lanka? Cool, you are in the right place.
By now I have visited Sri Lanka many times. After all, I was born in Jaffna so the desire to go there often is inevitable; not only to know and deepen the relationship with my relatives that I since I was taken to Italy when I was a child but also to get to better know the land . (Since I’m brown, Italians hardly accept that I’m Italian. They often say ok, but originally where are you from?) This is why I started to travel to Sri Lanka very often and I must say that this “Not to be missed town” in Sri Lanka is definitely well worth it.
Which is the Not to be missed town in Sri Lanka?
Check out my Instagram reel here ▶ Mirissa
Well, after all that introduction, Ill reveal one of the most lovely places of Sri Lanka. It is Mirissa! Ive visited Mirissa many times and to be honest, every visit of mine to Sri Lanka will always include Mirissa. Its landscape embraced by the cliff and dominated by a wide golden beach with many small and charming fishermen houses make this town an ideal place for a relaxing visit. At the same time it also provides an endless variety of things to do, which typical of sea places.
11 reason why you should not miss Mirissa
Check out my drone footage here !
- BEACH LIFE IN MIRISSA. If we want to talk about one of the best beach towns in Sri Lanka that tourists will definitely love then Mirissa certainly comes first. Let me tell you something: as I already wrote in my previous post called “Cesenatico must not be forgotten” I’m not such a big beach person. I mean, when I go to the beach I absolutely hate lying down and sunbathing for hours and hours. But in Mirissa, I have many other option than so Mirissa comes in pretty handy for people like me too. The beach in Mirissa is also very clean and this is a key not to be underestimated.
- ACCOMMODATION IN MIRISSA: you are literally spoilt for choice here as Mirissa has always been one of the most joyful cities in Sri Lanka and therefore the most visited one. The first tourist hotel in Mirissa appeared in 1980, and since the place turned out to be so successful, in the 90s it began to develop rapidly, and today it has become one of the most attractive beach resorts in Sri Lanka. I tried several hotels in Mirissa and I was fine everywhere. In 2023 I spent 4 days in a place called Seaside View. I found myself particularly content here and I strongly suggest it for you. It is especially suitable for all they have a focus on beach and beach life.
- RESTAURANTS IN MIRISSA. One could write a whole book on restaurants in Mirissa and I really mean it. I personally find that beachside dining more fun but this doesn’t mean that other restaurants in Mirissa have less value. With such strong competition, finding a place that offers bad food is really very hard here.
- NIGHT LIFE IN MIRISSA. Well, the night life in Mirissa makes this place a “not to be missed town in Sri Lanka” Most of the are n the beach side and they host some parties, fireworks with drinks and dinner, fairy lights, traditional shows and good music. Mirissa night life will definitely make your evenings memorable. The New Year’s Eve here is amazing so if you are wondering “Where to Stay For New Year in Sri Lanka”, then Mirissa is the answer.
- MIRISSA IS ALSO FOR LOCALS. An unpleasant thing that I noticed in many of the tourist areas of ri anka is that the presence of the locals is not so welcome. I sincerely don’t understand why it matters a lot for Sri Lankans. Thankfully this doesn’t happen in Mirissa and I tell you it’s nice not to be surrounded by only tourists. Locals give meaning to a journey. Don’t you think? I would say that this makes Mirissa one of the “Not to be missed” towns in Sri Lanka.
- GOOD BALANCE BETWEEN RELAXATION AND PARTIES. Mirissa is to satisfy moments of celebration and relaxation and everything runs smoothly. So this place is ok for everyone. I mean, whatever kind of person you are, you can spend your time in Mirissa without stress or tension. Summing up, in Mirissa you can decide to go on a vacation and just relax or experience as many parties and adventures as possible and utilize every available hour to “do” something. Another option is deciding to have a heavy day which is then followed by a relaxing night.
- MIRISSA IS FAMILY FRIENDLY. Do you think Mirissa neglects this side? Whether you’re travelling with toddlers or teenagers Mirissa is perfect for an exciting family vacation. You’re bound to find something to keep the entire brood happy and entertained. In addition to the endless activities to do with them, know that also their food is easily manageable here compared to all the other cities in Sri Lanka.
- MIRISSA HAS AN INTERESTING LANDSCAPE. Sri Lanka has some of the finest landscapes of anywhere in the world so it oes without saying that Mirissa’s beautiful nature will . Oh yes, Mirissa is nothing short of magnificent.
- PEOPLE ARE FRIENDLY IN MIRISSA. Sri Lanka was ranked among the Top 10 friendliest countries in the world in the 2022 Readers’ Choice Awards. The Condé Nast Traveller revealed the most welcoming destinations from all four corners of the globe, as voted by its readers. But I’ll tell you that the people in Mirissa are even more open minded. It is probably because tourism here started very soon compared to other cities in Sri Lanka. I’m not taking only about hotel and restaurant staff. I mean any person around. The friendly people will do anything to make sure your stay in Mirissa is a memorable one.
- MIRISSA IS INSTAGRAMMABLE. Mirissa is one of the most instagrammable places in Sri Lanka. Oh yes, this small town offers amazing photography opportunities. From wall graffiti to beach spots you can take some good photos here in Mirissa.
- MIRISSA IS A GREAT BASE FOR DAY TRIPS. Mirissa is renowned among tourists not only for its pristine coastline, surfing and snorkeling, whale watching expeditions, vibrant nightlife and mouth-watering delicacies but also because Mirissa is a great base to explore many other cities in Sri Lanka. Both public and private transport are easily accessible in Mirissa.
Is Mirissa Worth Visiting?
If you have not yet understood, Mirissa is my favourite Sri Lankan town because it offers everything that makes your escape a memorable one.
If I’m here to say that Mirissa is a “Not to be missed town in Sri Lanka” it is because I strongly believe that it deserves a visit with the right precautions to have when traveling anywhere in the world.
It is a lot nicer than what you can imagine it to be.
* Disclaimer: This awesome, free article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of these links, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. No pressure to use these links, but I really appreciate it when you do!
Pin it for later 💚💚💚